Alongside everywhere else, South Padre Island was closed to visitors for over a month as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Recently, the Island reopened and is transitioning back to life. Of course, it’s too early to tell how everything will unfold but our condo still has summer bookings and prospective guests have expressed interest in getting away to destinations closer to home and traveling by car (to avoid flights and crowded airports).
Therefore, we are sharing several important details about the steps we are taking and the overall community in case it is useful.
First, even before the outbreak, we have maintained the following high cleaning standards in our unit at the Waves:
- Cleaning crews use masks and gloves
- Linens and towels are washed with bleach
- Surfaces, switches, knobs, and high-touch areas disinfected with Lysol products registered with the EPA on list N.
We monitor recommendations from the CDC and other relevant sources and our cleaning best practices will continue to improve as needed.
Second, since the outbreak, our unit has adopted several new procedures:
- From time-to-time, depending on the schedule, check-in time may be delayed from 3 pm to 4 pm to ensure thorough cleaning. We apologize in advance!
- Stays of five nights or longer will be prioritized during busiest seasons to minimize the total number of people transiting the condo
- Self check-in is available upon request for returning guests
Third, if you are interested in South Padre and the Waves in general, then you might find the following information useful:
- The Waves is a smaller complex with only eight condos, and all condos restricted to a maximum of six guests
- Our unit has a fully equipped kitchen, which means that you can prepare your own meals or enjoy take-out
- Beaches are currently open with certain restrictions (masks when not swimming, group size limits, contact sports, etc.). Rules will likely continue to evolve.
- Many restaurants are open with limited seating capacity or take-out/delivery only
- Current information about the general community as published by the city of South Padre Island.
- You may find it helpful to follow some of the local Facebook groups, including the SPI Concierge.
Finally, this is an extremely challenging time for everyone. We hope that you will always remember our unit at the Waves as your home away from home.